Friday, April 13, 2018

Apache Shores - Lakeway

I just discovered a new course that is fairly close to me, Apache Shores.  The Disc Course Review site lists this course as Extinct, but it is very much alive.  Apparently, the HOA asked to remove it from the site as they don't want the general public playing here.  I must say this is a unique course.  It can be divided into two sections, the upper course holes 1-4 and 15-18 and the badlands are holes 5-14.  All of the holes are fairly short but most of them have heavily wooded fairways and steep elevation changes.

Navigating this course is nearly impossible unless you have someone to guide you.  I first played the upper holes and was able to birdie four of the holes.  I talked to other players and they warned me about trying to navigate the badlands on my own.  Up for a challenge and with nothing better to do I decided to venture into the badlands.  I found hole 5, a downhill tunnel shot and  hole 14, which was a short uphill drive and I was able to make birdie.  I then ran into a group of seven players that were playing best disc doubles and needed another player, so I joined them.

They led me deep into the badlands, I never would have found hole 6 without them.  They were a good group of guys and the player I teamed up with, Brad, proved to be a worthy partner.  One member of their group was a novice but he drilled four 50 foot putts with laser throws.  Many of the baskets in the badlands are positioned in front of steep cliffs, so it is better to layup unless you are sure.

This course is designed for a left handed player.  I found myself flicking on almost every hole.  I did have some pretty good drives that left us with tap in birdies.  We finished at 8:45 and it was totally dark, we had to use our cell phones as flashlights to illuminate the baskets.  I'm lucky I did not lose a disc.

I don't know if our group would like playing course but I would like to introduce a couple of them to it for evaluation.

The basket on hole 3, behind some junk cars!

Hole 2?

Hole #5

Pretty scenery in the badlands

Hole #14

Brad driving on #16.  Watch for cars!

No comments:

Post a Comment