Monday, August 10, 2015

Idlewild DGC, Burlington Kentucky

This week I've been in Northern Kentucky for a work conference.  Today, as the conference wrapped up, we took advantage of a beautiful Saturday afternoon to play one of the highest rated courses in the country, Idlewild.  This is a very lush, heavily wooded course with a great flow to it.  It has a little bit of everything; elevation changes, water hazards, wide open holes and tight tunnel shots.  My coworker in Kentucky, Eric, played with me and my other coworker from New Jersey, Neil, came along for the experience.

I really liked this course.  It required precise, technical shots but also had some holes that you could throw some bombs on.  I've never played a course that had four par 5's on it.  An interesting touch is that some of the baskets are on astro turf greens.  Every hole had large concrete tee pads, good signage, benches and trash cans.  I hardly saw any litter on the course.  I was surprised that only a few other players were on such a beautiful course on such a beautiful Saturday afternoon. 

I played a decent game today, I did manage a birdie today, although I don't remember it.  We spent a lot of time looking for discs in the rough but we did not lose any or find any.  My only complaint about the course was the the rough was a bit thick and thorny.  It you don't throw your disc in there then you won't have any problems.

Idlewild Disc Golf Course, Burlington Kentucky

Eric starts us off


Me on the first tee

Eric trying to anhyzer on #2

Astro turf green on #3



Lots of trees


Some uphill shots

Heady with a long putt attempt



Nice downhill shot

Very beautiful course

I threw a flick here, one of my better drives.  Didn't hit any trees.

Eric with a follow thru

Neil gets in the picture


Trying to split the Y

Neither one of us made the split




Hole #15.  Both of us ended up in the rough.

Erick driving on #17

Erick with an approach on #18

Eric kept the score.

No comments:

Post a Comment