Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Huntington Beach Central Park in California

This week I am in Irvine California with a lot of free time, a perfect opportunity to play some disc golf.  Today I played the Huntington Beach course which is about 10 miles from where I am staying.  This is nice, clean, challenging course with some beautiful trees.  This is a pay to play course with a nominal green fee of $2 during the week.  Most of the holes are pretty flat, a few holes have some elevation to contend with.   A good mix of wide open shots and technical shots around trees.  The tee pads are rubber and the baskets are mostly Mach 3 with a few Disc Catchers.  Some of the baskets are a little high.  All the holes are a par 3.

Weather conditions were typical Southern California weather conditions.  Sunny with highs in the lower 80's.  A little breeze was blowing but not enough to be a problems.  There were quite a few players for a Wednesday afternoon.  I almost hit someone a couple of times with my drives.

The first few holes seemed pretty short, I birded holes #1 and #2.  I thought this course was going to be a push over.  However, the holes got a little longer and more technical and I did not get another birdie.  I did bogey a few.

This is the second oldest permanent disc golf course in the world.  I hooked with a local player, Jesse, who played with me and guided me through the course.  I'm glad he did because I would have had a hard time finding where the next hole was or where some of the baskets were.

I would compare this course to Zilker Park.  It is a little tighter, with the fairways adjacent to one another.  The holes distances, terrain and mix of open to technical holes reminded me of Zilker.  I may try to play it again before the week is over.

Sorry the pictures are not really in order.  I am not using my normal computer and I played the course twice and jumped around the second time through.


Number 2 basket.  Big drop off behind it

Number 3 tee pad (really number 4 because of course changes) 

Nice little pond at the park









Jesse driving.  There are horseback riders over the fence






Me driving on #18.  One of my better drives

Add caption

This basket was a little high



No comments:

Post a Comment