Friday, April 17, 2015

El Dorado Park in Long Beach, California

I went a little further up the highway this morning to Long Beach to play El Dorado Park.  This is an 18 hole,  par 3, course located inside a city park between the library and the tennis courts.  It is a very pleasant course, not too challenging.  The course is mostly flat, nice grass and large, shady trees.  Only a few other players were on the course today, so I pretty much had the course to myself.

I met an older gentleman, Phil Penn, who does some work on the course.  He was nice enough to point out the tee pads and the baskets for me.  The tee pads are all concrete with signage.  The baskets on the front nine are Mach 3 and the back nine are DISC Catchers.  A very clean park, no litter, lots of trash cans but no benches.  It was such a nice day and I had lots of free time so I played it twice.

The holes are about average length, a par can be made on each hole without too much difficulty.  I did not make any birdies but only had about two opportunities.  I did make a few more bogeys than I should have. The Santa Ana winds started to kick up, causing my discs to fly all over.  Several of my approach flicks just kept on going 50-60 feet past the basket.

Like the Huntington Beach, this one reminded me of Zilker.  Neither course had any rough to speak of.  I wonder how the players here would react to East Metro or Roy G.   The only hazard on the course is getting your disc stuck in a tree.  There are no rocks on the ground,  Phil keeps a softball in his bag to throw.




Lots of these purple trees blooming.




































No comments:

Post a Comment